Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lilacs, peas and a mouse's ear...

In a 2006 article in the Seattle P-I, noted gardener and author Ann Lovejoy said this:

" One of the most common temperature-sensitive plants is the humble lilac. Its buds are triggered not by light but by soil temperature. The rule of thumb is to plant your peas when lilac leaves are the size of a mouse's ear."

I love this! I have two lilacs in front side-by-side, one white and one lavender, and a dark purple one in back, thanks to my dear friend Bert (Crown Hill gardener and uber cool dude). I love when they bloom. I was born on May 1st, and my Mom always said that the scent of lilacs was in the air that spring day in Denver.

I'm dreaming of the day that their unfurling, pale pale green leaves will be the size of a mouse ear, and I'll run down the block to my P-Patch to plant peas! Now these two are forever linked... when do you plant your peas? What peas do you like best? Tell me! Maybe I'll try them all this year.


Ann's Organic Garden: Lilac says when to plant peas

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your blog! I don't know a darn thing about gardening, but maybe I'll learn something from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, shucks! I want to learn from you, too! What are you dreaming about planting? Have you checked out sheet mulching yet? Are there lilacs in Pasadena?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what to plant. I just want it to look nice and not need a lot of maintenance. We have a lot of cement--that could go. I want the grass out of here (it's all weeds anyway) and I want native plants. A wild look. And a little area for herbs and vegetables.

    I think there are lilacs in Pasadena but I'm not sure. We can grow wisteria, and I plan to plant one out front.

    ReplyDelete