Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Weather, and then some more rain!

Wow. Late winter in Seattle is a wild ride! Today there was driving rain, seriously felt like a monsoon, except cold. The temp is around 50, but it feels colder. Many jokes about kayaking to the office... And thus our Seattle Smallhold is conceptual right now... though we will be planting peas this weekend! As well as spinach and chard.

Daffodils are heading up, some of the species ones are open. So too are early crocus and a tiny species iris. The ornamental cherry trees on Beacon Avenue are a dark pink cloud - so gorgeous. If the weather holds I'll ask M to get some photos this weekend.

Days like today I am almost glad I drive a computer during the week. I sure know that as spring unfolds, all I'll want to do is get dirty in the garden.

What are you dreaming of?

5 comments:

  1. A load of compost was delivered today for all the gardens at our p-patch. I got home late from work and took a quick walk down to snap some shots of the pile and found that 2/3rds of it had already been moved onto a few of the gardens. There was a friendly couple hauling it to theirs in five gallon buckets. Our conversation was brief, cause I need to work on my chinese. I skipped back to the house and gathered up the cart and a shovel. Eight loads later, thru four inches of mud and 50 mph wind in the dark, I had a nice layer over our bed. Now that's gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile, we're about to have a 10-day shut-down of all outdoor watering in Pasadena. So, no planting just yet. Not that I had anything to plant. I just figure I'll spend Sunday digging up some stuff. Clean slate, you know?

    Your beds sound rich and ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm putting the peas to soak tomorrow morning, so we can plant them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petrea, water is such a basic necessity of life! I wish we could send you some of our storms... if you're planning to plant anchor plants - trees and bushes - those are best put in a=in fall, right before the winter rains. (You do get winter rains, yes?) That way, they get a season of growth, even though it's slow growth, with adequate watering. It gives them a better start for the next year.

    Can you post any pics of the areas you want to start cultivating?

    Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could send you some, but I don't think I'll post them for all to see!

    ReplyDelete